What is Speechcraft? Speechcraft is a program run by Toastmasters and designed to help you develop effective and energetic public speaking and leadership skills.
The course consists of six 2-hour workshops held weekly from 7:00pm to 9:00pm.
Who can attend? The course is open to anyone over 18. (Courses can sometimes be arranged to accommodate 16 – 18 year-olds)
How much does it cost? The cost is $100 for the full six-week course, including course materials.
Where is it held? The course is held at Chermside Community Health Centre, 490 Hamilton Rd, Chermside, in the HACC Training Room. There is easy access and plenty of free parking.
When is the next course? We run four courses each year – one per school term.
Next course:- Term 1, 2019: Commences Monday 4th February 2019
Course Dates: 4th, 11th, 18th, 25th February and 4th, 11th March
How do I enrol? Enrolments are now open Go to our main website to register via Eventbrite.
(Click on Speechcraft in the banner above)
Questions? You can email us. See Contact Us page.
More about Speechcraft
Speechcraft is a program run by Toastmasters and designed to help you develop effective and energetic public speaking and leadership skills. You will learn these skills during 6 two hour meetings run by Stafford Heights Toastmasters. During each meeting you will learn and practice speaking and evaluation skills, and you will have the opportunity to learn from experienced speakers.
You will learn and practice in a friendly, non-threatening environment. There are no instructors or professors, and you won’t be “graded” on your work or progress. You will be learning these speaking skills with other people who are there for the same reason you are. You will be guided in your learning by people just like you, people who also once feared public speaking. Together you will help one another grow and develop as speakers. And, best of all, you will have fun as you learn.
At the end of the course you will receive a certificate to show you have completed the Speechcraft course and a letter for your CV.
The format to Speechcraft is very similar to the format of a typical Toastmaster’s meeting and if you wished to join Toastmasters to further hone your speaking skills, after you finish the course, you would be most welcome to do so.
How will you benefit?
- Develop better speaking and presentation skills
- Listen carefully and analytically to others
- Learn to think quickly and clearly on your feet
- Learn to control nerves (overcome those um’s and ah’s)
- How to perform different speaking roles eg: how to be MC at a wedding
The Speechcraft course consists of a 2 hour workshop (7:00PM to 9:00PM) per week for 6 weeks covering topics such as:
- Planning your presentation or speech (structure, content and organisation)
- Practical exercises in presenting 2 prepared speeches and other smaller segments on the programme with hints for improvement from a Toastmaster
- Role of Master of Ceremonies
- Impromptu speaking (techniques to think quickly on your feet)
- Controlling nerves and stage fright
- The role of language and vocal variety (verbal and vocal components)
- Body language (non-verbal component of a speech)
- Different speaking roles (toasts, eulogies, award presentations, vote of thanks, speeches at a wedding)
- Individual communication preferences (what you see, hear, feel)
- Benefits and use of visual aids / overheads / microphone / flip charts / objects (props)
For further info., just email us (Stafford Heights Toastmasters Club). See Contact Us page, or phone 1300 920 621.
TOASTMASTERS – DEDICATED TO HELPING PEOPLE IMPROVE THEIR COMMUNICATION SKILLS FOR OVER 75 YEARS